PLANNING Minister Matthew Guy has approved interim height controls affecting Ferntree Gully Village, ending weeks of anxiety for residents and traders opposed to a planned apartment building.
The announcement will strengthen Knox Council's case at a preliminary hearing for the four-storey complex at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal on Friday.
Knox Council asked the state government to approve 7.5-metre height controls in the village after residents and traders raised concerns over the development at 44 Station Street. The limits are expected to take effect this month.
Community concern intensified because the developer bypassed the council approval and took the proposal straight to the tribunal.
Mayor Karin Orpen said the announcement was a great win for the community — "I'm delighted with the outcome". Ferntree Gully MP Nick Wakeling said it showed the government delivering planning outcomes to meet the needs of local communities.
Councillors last week unanimously voted to refuse the application for the controversial 'mixed-use' multi-storey development.