AN ammonia leak at a factory in Knoxfield this morning has been bought safely under control, CFA say.
CFA District 13 regional duty office Don Tomkins said five people were treated by paramedics following the leak at PFD Food Services on Rushdale Street.
Firefighters were alerted to the leak by employees in neighbouring factories at about 6.45am today.
Rushdale Street was shut between Gilbert Park Drive and Ferntree Gully Road while the leak was fixed by CFA.
Mr Tomkins said 10 CFA units attended the scene, including two from Dandenong and Hallam with special chemical detection gear.
Firefighters entered the premises with gas suits and breathing apparatus on and found the leak coming from a faulty valve.
The valve was replaced and Mr Tomkins said the leak was ‘‘fairly restricted’’ because there was no wind.
18 people were seen by paramedics, but just five were treated for affects to the toxic gas.
PFD human resources director Carmelo Aiello said the leaking valve was caused by an electrical fault in the refrigeration unit.
Employees were able to return to the site at about 9.00am, Mr Aiello said.
Worksafe is investigating the incident.