OUT-of-contract Knox Raiders coach Graham Longstaff is confused and hurt after the club advertised its South East Australian Basketball League men's coach position.
Applications for the job closed last Friday and the Raiders could appoint a coach as early as next week.
Longstaff, who has spent seven seasons as Raiders coach and led the side to a national championship and two conference titles, said he remained confused about the club's change of heart on its coaching positions.
Longstaff, who completed a two-year contract with the Raiders this season when the team lost its conference final to Albury-Wodonga, previously coached under three one-year contracts.
He said he was told by club officials a few weeks ago the board had decided its senior coaching jobs would be advertised whenever a coach's contract finished. "I'm treating it as a vote of no confidence from the board," Longstaff said.
He confirmed he had not put an application in for his position and had heard nothing further from the Raiders since applications closed.
"I'm totally confused as to what is going on," Longstaff said.
"I'm thinking it's a vote of no confidence so what's the point [of applying].
"I'm very confused and very, very hurt."
Longstaff said he had not gone for any other coaching positions as he was not informed of the change in policy until almost all SEABL coaching jobs were taken.
Basketball operations manager at Knox Basketball, Simon Mitchell, said the club hoped to book interviews with prospective coaches later this week and possibly announce an appointment by next week.
Mitchell was uncertain about Longstaff's status as coach describing him as "in limbo".
"We would like to appoint a coach as soon as possible," he said. "We are looking for someone with experience in elite level basketball and we will go through the candidates and score them on their experience in the areas we are looking for.
"Hopefully, we can have the interviews done by the end of the week, although we have to work around the schedules of the applicants."
The Raiders will still make overtures to long-serving imports Lester Strong and CJ Massingale.
Massingale is playing his first season with NBL club Adelaide 36ers and could miss a portion of the start of next season, but he had previously said he wanted to play again for the Raiders.
Mitchell said the club wanted to retain its two stars regardless of who was coach while the rest of the roster remains uncertain until a coach is appointed.
Mitchell said Raiders women's coach Cheryl Chambers would return in 2012 as she was under contract.