RESIDENTS in Wantirna South are being warned to keep their doors and windows closed as a fire burns at Knox Council’s waste transfer station in George Street.
The fire began in a pile of mattresses about 4.25pm this afternoon.
Thirteen fire crews from the CFA and MFB are at the site attempting to control the fire.
Smaller fire trucks have arrived at the scene to put out grass spot fires that have broken out in surrounding areas.
A fire that caused $800,000 worth of damage at the transfer station on Australia Day this year was caused by an electrical fault in the mattress shredder.
More to come.